Monday, June 30, 2014

Mom & Me Crafting Vortex

As you know I have been ramping up the crafting getting ready to teach my summer workshops.  I've been crocheting, collaging, painting, writing , etc. etc!  School is out for my youngest and she is at home bored stiff.  She's going to be helping me out this summer, so she can't go to camp.  She has organized and reorganized her makeup boxes and trays.  Gone through numerous hairstyle changes and downloaded and read a couple of books already.

My oldest who is a full-fledge adult and working full time came to visit us and took her little sis to Katy Perry's summer concert.  My treat for both of them and she was helping me out.  She and I used to go to her boy band concerts in middle and high school, but since my health issues I can't go with Samantha, for now.  Luckily, even with the thirteen year age gap my daughters are becoming close friends.

While visiting Courtney asked me to teach her how to crochet.  She already knows how to knit but since her best friend and I crochet she wanted to learn.  I was teaching her how to crochet and it reminded me a little bit of teaching her how to drive her Barbie Corvette up our hill.  (Smile).   Her little sister chimed in and started crocheting like a fiend.  I forgot that I had taught her (my craft buddy) a few years ago.  Courtney was perplexed that Samantha remembered and was going so fast.

Now, both my daughters have a lot in common, both are sassy, snarky, smart, intuitive, confident and have a wicked wit and sense of humor.  They also are very loving, generous, considerate and creative.  Samantha is an artist through and through.  Courtney is a prolific writer and very tech savvy.  I wouldn't call them crafters though.  They like traditional, non frilly, conservative clothing and decor with a label.  They do not like my 'Artsiphartsi' style.  Courtney loves Lily Pulitzer and Vera Bradley. Samantha is all glam and MAC.

Courtney texted me the next day after work and sent me a picture of yarn and needles in a shopping basket.  She was in the craft store buying supplies to make a afghan.  Hold up!  what's going on here is this my daughter?  Then Samantha asked me for yarn and began crocheting.  Like a Fiend, up all night and using up every bit of extra neon yarn that I had.  Next, she wanted to tie dye tees.  Now I have two craft buddies.  I can't believe their color choices.  (A little Crafty Diva influence?)

After all these years we are crafting again. I guess the family that 'crafts together, stays together.'




No comments:

Post a Comment