Thursday, October 29, 2015

Yay! I made it!

Today I finally did it!  I walked the steps to the beach entrance at the end of my street.  I bought my dream beach cottage in 2011 after years of dreaming and searching up and down the southeast coast.  I had been vacationing here on Hatteras Island since 2002.  Everything came together for me to buy my beach getaway, but there were a few setbacks.  My father passed away and I was nearly on death's door myself.  When the opportunity came I plunged at it even though I really couldn't enjoy it.  I had planned and designed my beach life for over 15 years and I had the house and the beach , but no life.  

What I did have was wonderful friends who helped me walk out my dream by renovating and decorating my Crafty Diva Cottage.  It took until 2014 for me to move into it full-time.  God and myAngels  brought me here despite my kicking and screaming.  I had lots of fears and doubts but as I always say it takes a village and my village has helped me so much.  I am forever grateful for their love and support.  

When I moved here I was using a walker.  I had no plans except to get healthy and start living life.  I wanted to be on the beach, but I couldn't.  I didn't realize when I bought the house that it was such a little trek to actually get on the beach.  I knew there were stairs but I didn't realize that you had to go up then down then cross the dunes to get to the beach.  The stairs were my block until today.  I've had a challenging week a real growth period.  I realized that I had been making a lot if my decisions from fear instead of joy.  Today I was going to face my fear.  I had lost a lot of weight this year and was getting around pretty well.  I drive to the stairs and decided to take the plunge.  I'm so glad I did.  

Here is the walkway to the stairs.




Here I am finally on the beach.


This is the roaring surf of the Atlantic.  I can hear it from my house and I always wanted to see the waves hitting the beach.  Today I did.


I planted firmly in this sand on this sandbar in the middle if this island.  Why?  I don't know yet, but I'm enjoying the journey one day at a time.


This passage through the dune.  It's size changes depending on the storms we have



Going back down.  My house is at the end of this street.  You can't see it through the trees.  My ultimate goal is to walk down the street from my house up the stairs over the dune and then walk the beach.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my to read this blog and to see how far you have come from the day I met you in Lorton Virginia is amazing. Michele you are so much stronger than you know. Well done! Can't wait to see what you accomplish in 2016! #StrongWoman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for help in my journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle!

    I just read your story about making it to the beach...what a journey you are on my dear!

    First of all, congratulations on having a dream to live at the beach, getting your cottage, allowing your posse of angels to assist you in making your dream come true, creating an INCREDIBLE joy-filled color filled space in which to live and invite friends over...and then...allowing yourself to heal and start your journey back to vibrant health. Huge YES and YAY!


    As I read your account of finally making it all the way up and over those steps...and digging your toes in the sand I am thinking of my favorite encouragement affirmation:

    I am taking the next step!

    Thanks for sharing your journey here - you inspire me and is a good reminder always to make choices from a place of joy rather than fear.

    You are a shiny star in my universe! Can't wait for more beach photos!

    Hugs from out here in the purple house,

    Frances (who can't figure out the comment as feature on blogger....there's not a way to put my own URL in here that I can see....) : )

    ReplyDelete